Are You PC? Part 2
The Garden proclaims “We are a progressive United Methodist Church” but what exactly does that mean? This Sunday and next we will explore our evolving faith and how we experience and share the love of Jesus in the 21st century. We will look at what it means to be one who follows the path of Jesus and be open and willing to learn from other faith traditions. We will explore what it means to be inclusive to all people. We will consider the value of questioning verses absolute truth. We will look at what our behavior says about what we believe as Christians. We will consider what we are striving for: peace and justice; protecting and restoring; and creation. Finally, we will look at how we can all commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.
- Believe that following the path and teachings of Jesus can lead to an awareness and experience of the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life;
- Affirm that the teachings of Jesus provide but one of many ways to experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life, and that we can draw from diverse sources of wisdom in our spiritual journey;
- Seek community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to:
- Conventional Christians and questioning skeptics,
- Believers and agnostics,
- Women and men,
- Those of all sexual orientations and gender identities,
- Those of all classes and abilities;
- Know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe;
- Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;
- Strive for peace and justice among all people;
- Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth;
- Commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.